Monday, August 17, 2009

I long more for Heaven than I ever did before...

On Sunday, August 9, 10:13 PM...

My Dad went home to meet Jesus face-to-face after a lengthy illness. There was great relief in knowing he is now pain free, seeing his life clearly in ways only you and I can imagine. A man who hasn't stood on his own 2 feet in 15 months is walking streets of gold. Praise God for this time a celebration. A time to remember his life, his journey here on earth as a son, husband, father, grandfather, uncle, friend, etc...

A quiet man, with a generous heart. Always looking out for others. That is how I will remember him.


BUT, it still hurts. Bad. He will be deeply missed. Losing a loved one is never easy, never.
Losing a parent is in a class of it's own. It gives death a new meaning, gives life a new meaning, the aches reach the depths of our soul.


Dad fought the good fight. The battle wasn't easy .... and yet I never heard him complain. Instead he greeted all visitors with a smile. Nurses often remarked on how much they enjoyed his presence.

I am thankful beyond measure Dad met Samuel, once he even held him in his arms. The smiles the two exchanged as I held him over the bed will never, ever be forgotten. See, Dad was our # 1 fan when it came to adoption. He often reminded us we'd get a baby boy.. something Dad always knew deep in his heart.

As I write this, I can't help but think in less than 6 short months, I received the biggest blessing of my life, my son Samuel and felt the great loss of my life, the death of my Dad. It's hard to understand right now, but I know God makes no mistakes and I am thankful for these few short months.

Dad's in Heaven now.. a place I long for more than ever before. Jesus has overcome.

12 comments:

Deb said...

I'm so glad you have those memories of your dad and your son together. Those are priceless memories that you'll share over and over with him as he grows.
Even more grateful that you had him there with you along the way waiting for your precious Samuel.

Tracey said...

I am so sorry you lost your Dad. So happy you had such a wonderful Dad. God Bless.

Melba said...

Very touching post...so sorry for your loss!

Melba

LL said...

Hugs Pep! I have tears brimming my eyes aching for you at your loss. I always think of Brad Paisley's song "when I get where I'm going". I am sure when your dad met Jesus he hugged him and said thank you for Samuel.

Jessica said...

My heart is both aching for you and rejoicing that your dad is in a place where you will see him again. What a blessing that he met Samuel! I guarantee it was one of his greatest joys.

Ragan said...

I'm so sorry Pep! (((HUGS)))

HappyAutisticMama said...

God be with you in your loss! We'll pray for peace for you and your family.

Becky said...

Sorry for your loss Patti!! I can't imagine, not having lost my dad yet. I'm glad he got to see you receive your child!

D said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
But rejoice in the fact your dad is now with the Father.

Stephanie said...

Pep, I did not know about the loss of your dad. I am sorry for the sadness yet rejoice in Heaven's hope. God bless you, my friend.

wsweden said...

Pep
I just read about your loss. I am so sorry but thankful you have such a precious memory of him holding Samuel. Samuel now has a guardian angel looking down upon him.

Kim said...

Oh, Pep. I am so sorry for the pain that comes with losing your dad. How beautiful to know he is home with Jesus and that you will be with him again.