Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ordinary Miracle

I am so pleased! The song "Ordinary Miracle" keeps running through my head. Particularly the part that says "It seems so exceptional, That things just work out after all, It's just another ordinary miracle today".

It's been a very long week. Dad was admitted to ICU after a long ER visit. The infection spread to his blood stream and quite possibly bone. He has tested positive to M*R*S*A and C*Dif. Things were NOT looking good. We were actually given the impression he was not going to come out of it. I won't go into the details of how horribly depressing it's been. I will say we were preparing for Dad to pass in the very near future. One day he came to and had an emotional breakdown. He cried so hard, he was giving up the fight and wanted us to all know he loved us.
I didn't know my heart could hurt so bad.

BUT... he has since advanced to the "ICU Step Down Unit" ... and we're seeing improvement.

It was not only a shock to us, but to the hospital staff as well. He's alert, talking, even asking for ice cream (now that's my Dad)! I fed him apple juice yesterday. Although I had use a stick with a small sponge at the end, he managed to take about 2 ounces.

Mom and I met with Dr. B yesterday afternoon. Mom needed to make a decision regarding surgery. Option 1: NO surgery. The bed sore would not go away (ever), eventually it would cause complications leading to death. Option 2: Proceed with surgery to debrine the bed sore. There are some risks. Healing process would be very slow, and could take up to 6 months (or more). He would return to rehab. Mom is opting for surgery. I imagine it will be soon, as they called today for consent.

He is showing minor irregularities in his heart rhythm, therefore they are keeping a close eye on that. He is still testing positive to M*R*S*A and C*Dif. Still very confused, however we see very small indications that may be getting better. Dr. B does not feel his cognitive problems are permanent. I continue to prayer he is correct. And I continue to be thankful for God's continued intervention.

A few short days ago, Dad was on the brink of death. I can't explain how it felt to walk in the room, expecting the worst and instead have him turn his head, look at me and start talking- WHO CARES IF HE MADE ANY SENSE! ;-) To see nurses who cared for him during the darkest hours come to his room just to see it for themselves is yet another gentle reminder how God works.

Dad is not out of the woods. The surgery itself presents some risks. The next several days will determine so much more. But I can tell you there is a difference. And for that, we are so grateful.


GOD IS AWESOME!

Click below to view the video "Ordinary Miracle":

Ordinary Miracle

4 comments:

Deb said...

Wonderful news! So glad that you have experienced a miracle with your dad. I'll continue to keep him in my prayers as he prepares for surgery.

Anne said...

Pep I heard that he was going through surgery today. I hope it went well and it helps him to heal and get past this awful situation! Prayers for you all.

Patti said...

thanks! (((hug)))

petunia said...

Pep,
I haven't come over in a long time ---i have so much catch up with!
I had MRSA last October and was in the hospital as well. There was a bad outbreak in my city then and the hospitals were FULL. It is a scary thing when they cannot give a lot to stop it but It can be done. C-dif too? wow, how much can one person endure? A nurse friend said that C-dif, MRSA and shingles are all going around....I pray the shingles stay away!!!