Tuesday, March 18, 2008

MRI Results

The results are in ..... I heard the official word on my MRI results. I have a condition called
C o n g e n i t a l L u m b a r S t e n o s i s , which started at birth (s p i n a b i f i d a o c c u l t a ) and has progressed slowly over the years. L u m b a r S t e n o s i s is common in the over 60 crowd, but I have a much rarer problem known as c o n g e n i t a l l u m b a r s t e n o s i s . If you're familiar with the different vertebrae in our spine, tests show a slippage (or s p o n d y l o l i s t h e s i s ) of L5 and S1. As a result, there is a narrowing of my spinal chord. The pressure causes a great deal of pain and discomfort. Unfortunately, the problem is not reversible, yet can be stabilized with physical therapy and exercise. I can also consider e p i d u r a l s t e r o i d i n j e c t i o n s (into the effected area) if needed. Surgery is not an option now, but may be something I will need to consider down the road. The doctor believes most (if not all) my pain is a direct result of this condition.

I was secretly hoping for a "quick fix" for all my pain. But, there's some relief knowing it wasn't all in my head - there's truly an answer to why I've had to suffer so much and for so long.

3 comments:

LL said...

Hugs Pep! you are in my prayers!

Colette said...

BUMMER!!! I am so sorry! I have suffered and still am with back pain..I feel your pain girl! Here are bunches of hugs for you!

Stephanie said...

Pep ... I'm sorry I've been so out of touch! I didn't know about this diagnosis. I will be praying! ((love you friend))