Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ever Roast A Garlic Bulb Whole?

We have a wonderful Greek restaurant BT and I LOVE to frequent. It seems each time we go we try something new. This week we tried the roasted vegetable platter, which was a delight!

For the first time ever, I experienced eating a whole roasted garlic bulb among other delicous veggies . . . mushrooms, banana peppers, red peppers, olive spread, eggplant and pita triangles.

Let me tell you ... I am craving that roasted garlic! So, I did a little googling and was amazed to find out just how easy it is to prepare. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try making my own.

Here are the directions if anyone else is a garlic lover! So yummy.

ROASTED GARLIC

3 whole garlic bulbs
2 - 3 tsps. extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375

Peel away the outer layers of skin of the garlic bulb, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact; leave garlic bulb whole.

Using a sharp knife, slice 1/4 - 1/2-inch off of the pointed end of the garlic bulbs, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.

Put the garlic head in a small ovenproof dish, garlic roaster, or pan. Pour 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over the top of each bulb and let it sink in between the cloves. Wait 2 minutes and then repeat with another 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over each garlic bulb.

Either cook in a garlic cooker or place on a baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil (this is great for cooking large amounts of garlic).

Bake approximately 45 to 60 minutes or until cloves are browned at the exposed end and soft throughout.

Remove from oven.

Allow to cool enough so you can touch it without burning yourself. Use a small small knife cut the skin slightly around each clove. Use a cocktail fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins.

Garlic may be stored in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for several days.





Interestingly, when I further googled "Roasted Garlic" I found this . . . .

It's called R.oasted G.arlic E.press.




Can you guess what's going on my Christmas list? :-)

3 comments:

Erica said...

Hey Patti,

I just wanted to pop over and say thanks for stopping by my blog. When I found your blog, I was surprised that not only did I relate to your adoption journey, but also the situation with your dad. It's amazing how you can feel so alone, yet you aren't. It's comforting, to an extent. I pray for you and your family and for all that you are having to deal with because I know it's draining.

I hope Santa brings you a garlic roaster and you get to eat as much as your heart desires!

Anita said...

I've never tried making roasted garlic, but I know there are some folks who can't get enough of it. I do LOVE the terra cotta garlic roasters though. If I were a fan I'd definitely have one. Maybe I should give it a try!

E said...

Roasted garlic is wonderful. I've learned how to make it before, but never did it. Thanks for sharing a pic of that item...very interesting! I'm going to have to check that out!