Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Finally, A Great Doctor for ME

I've been seeing a new endo for about 2 months now and I think he's G R E A T . Although I was hesitant to start insulin, it really was a good move. Of course, I didn't want to admit I needed it (denial) .. and I always heard once you go on it, you're on it for life. Wrong! It's most definitely reversible. And... the best part is not having the side effects of swallowing pills!
It's not joyful carrying around my tiny, little "supply" bag. Writing down everything is a pain. And... who likes to prick themselves up to 7 times daily (between shots and checking levels)? But, it's working out for me . . so far.

He works with me. I fax him my diary weekly and he calls to let me know what (if any) changes I should make.

He sent me for lab work ... and to my complete surprise the test revealed I am seriously deficient in both Vitamin B-12 and D. I started Vitamin B-12 two weeks ago. Today I start Vitamin D, taking 50,000 units once a week for 16 weeks, then I can change to an over-the-counter dose on a daily basis.

Why am I writing all this? Because I am thrilled to have found a doctor who takes a real interest and covers all bases! :0) No nurses, no PA's... just good old fashioned doctors care (with today's advance technology). I am also eager to see how I feel in a few months.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful, Pep. Isn't great to find a doctor that cares about you and will LISTEN to you? Good luck with everything!!

Deb said...

Wonderful! So glad that you found someone who cares, they're hard to come by.

Glad you're finding the meds to help.

Becky said...

So glad for you to have this help and support! It's so important!!!

Come by my blog when you can and give me your feedback on my latest post! Thanks!

Erica said...

That is awesome! I know how freeing it is to have medical issues under control.

E said...

Good news...glad you found a doc who you feel good about. Take care and good luck with your new regimen!

webkinzfan said...

Pep- I'm a diabetic too. I just saw my doctor last Mon. and she said if my blood sugar levels don't come down I'll have to start on insulin too. That thought scares me, but at least I know I have someone I can talk to if and when that happens, if you're not too busy w/ baby Samuel, that is.
Please friend me on FB or e-mail me at webkinzfan@hotmail.com when you have a chance. I know your busy. I'll be busy too, starting a new job next week.

Hugs for you, sweetie.

Tracy