Sunday, March 08, 2009

Samuel "Asked of God"

March 3, 2009 - Placement Day




At approximately 12 noon, Baby Samuel Riley was placed in my arms.



I'll do my best to explain how the moments enfolded . . but I know my words won't come close to the joy we experienced.


Barely able to sleep the night before, we were up promptly at 6 AM, with plans to leave for the agency by 7:30 AM. All the stress, nervousness, etc. caught up to me and I got a nervous stomach that not only caused us to leave late, but required a few unexpected stops on the New York State Thruway. Our appointment was for 10 AM. We were late. I felt horrible. But the ladies at our agency were great.


We were greeted at the door and taken back to the counseling room to read, review and sign necessary paperwork. I vividly remember trying to sign my name for the first time. My hand was so weak and shaky! Once the adoptive parent worker went over everything with us, the birthparent worker came in to talk to us.


She told us about Samuel's birthmom! She's a brave, strong, loving woman who wanted the best for Samuel. Her plan was solid. She wanted him placed with a couple who waited a long, long time and had no other children. She chose not to have contact of any kind. No phone calls, letters, cards, etc. We loved all the things the agency shared with us regarding her life, wishes, future goals, etc.. I can't stop thinking about her and the gift she gave us. I may never be given the opportunity to thank her myself, but she will forever be in my thoughts and prayers.



One thing the worker stressed over and over was how much she loved Samuel and that we should always assure him of her love.


Then it was time for Samuel's foster family to bring him in! I remember the room quickly filling with people and camera flashes all over the place, but what I remember most was this image of the foster mother walking into the room with our boy.




Once Samuel was placed in our arms, things were pretty quiet as we all shared a loving, emotional moment. Samuel's foster Mom talked to me about his likes and dislikes.

Once things calmed down everyone stood in a circle holding hands as a prayer was offered.

Samuel squirmed and made his presence known during the prayer (too cute).


I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet the family who cared for our son for the first two weeks of his life. They're a fine, Christian family whom I am sure took very good care of him.

I must admit, my heart went to my throat as they said their "good-byes" and I heard one of them whisper to Samuel, "Have a good life" with such sincerity.

15 comments:

Melba said...

All I can say is WOW...you have such a touching story that honestly gives me more hope than I've felt in a long, long time.

I can't wait to see more pictures, and learn more about your experience as a new mommy...congratulations again!!

Melba

webkinzfan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
webkinzfan said...

Congratulations to the new Mommy and Daddy. Little Samuel is such a cutie!! This must be one of the best days of your lives!! Try to enjoy every minute of your son's babyhood. Babys grow up so fast!

Big hugs of congratulations to you!

Tracy

Deb said...

Oh my! You've got me in tears reading this. Remembering oh so well our own time.

We've been blessed to see her foster family twice since placement and take some pictures with them. They are a part of our family as well in some way.

He's adorable as you already know. Look forward to watching him grow and to finally watch you as a mommy.

April Dietz said...

Welcome, Samuel, into your parents arms! :-D Yay! Praise God! :-)

Ragan said...

What a sweet story Pep! I wonder how long it will be before I can read through one of your posts without crying :)

HappyAutisticMama said...

That is so beautiful!! You mentioning making several embarrassing stops reminds me of our placement day. I lost my breakfast and stuck with smoothies for awhile:-) We, too, have a totally closed adoption by the choice of the birthmom. I know that comes with so many emotions. Anyway, congrats!!! What an amazing miracle.

Kathy said...

I am so glad to hear that little Samuel is finally home with you!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Becky said...

Tell more when you can and post lots more pictures!! He is soooo gorgeous and precious!!! I just can't say how happy I am for you!! Take that counter of how long you've waited down!! :o)

LL said...

Congrats Patti! I have been intending to respond to you post on my FB page...it is so great to share this with you, you and I are are PARENTS!!!

Jessica said...

Just getting caught up and here I am at my desk crying like, well, like a baby!

What a beautiful description of your day. Everytime I read one, it takes me back to our own day and I get all weepy.

It's the most powerful, amazing feeling in the world, isn't it? Meeting your son.

Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. I bet he makes that long, long time well worth the wait!

Kim said...

What a beautiful story, Patti! I'm so glad you have your son-the one you prayed for. Email me your address again when you get a chance-or are up in the middle of the night!!!

Hope said...

Tears tears tears....nothing compared to yours I am sure. The song on your blog...perfect. He is perfect, God sent him to you there is no doubt. I am over joyed for you, love to feel the peace of answered prayers - many were sent up for you. I wish I could hug you for real...but I guess a ((HUGS)) will do.

Erica said...

I'm fighting back the tears as I read this. I can't even begin to imagine, and in my heart I am SO THANKFUL to God for this wonderful gift that He has brought into your lives. I know I've only been reading for a while, but I know the journey has been long and that it seemed like this day would never come. But here it is, and here he is! And he's perfect. :) I am so, so happy for you two. Can't wait to see how he grows. :)

bri said...

Hello...just stopping in from Erin's blog. I have tears in my eyes reading this post! So precious! I show emotion from both sides of the fence. We are adopting our first sweet little man we have had since 7 days old, he's now 16 mos. So my tears come from knowing that FIRST LOVE! and then we are also fostering a little boy that we got when he was 6 weeks old. We may be soon saying goodbye to him, he is now 12 mos today! My heart aches but I know it is God's will!

Blessings! I will check back in to see how things are going from time to time!