Thursday, March 12, 2009

Samuel's First Couple of Days Home
















Samuel's first few days with us were "trial and error" ... but considering the life changing event "he and we" went through, we all did phenominal, really.
It seemed none of us slept that night, literally. Since I hadn't actually slept much since "The Call" on Thursday, I was rather wiped out.

I was falling in love with Samuel and feeling over the top overwhelmed! Brian and I had gone from a couple to a family in just a few short days. Well wishers meant well, so well ...
everyone was falling in love with Samuel. But, I went through a day of feeling smothered, tired, worn out and I just needed some time to gather my thoughts and get some rest.
My brother and sister-in-law were here from Cleveland. They stepped in and managed the home, baby, phone, etc. while we attemped to catch some rest. Notice I said "rest" because I don't think I truly ever went to "sleep".

Since then it's been all up hill. We couldn't be happier. Samuel is a good baby - I mean so good I feel guilty! ;) He's pleasant, happy, smiley (for real, not gas, ha), content.

I have experienced "Mom instincts" I didn't expect. So surreal. I find myself wanting to protect him and love him FOREVER! We spend alot of time bonding. We sing, cuddle and kiss as much as we can. I can honestly say there are absolutely NO bonding issues, as a matter of fact, I find it to be quite the opposite.

Samuel is a miracle from God. Our wait was long and painful, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I can see now, God was busy perfecting our son. I thank God every day for this baby. . . we have been richly blessed.

17 comments:

Erica said...

SO SO wonderful! I just posted on my blog about your story and what a blessing it was. :) Of course he's a sweet baby, he's got sweet parents! I'm glad to hear the maternal instincts are still there, even when everything else is out of whack! LOL

Wendy said...

I found you through Erica's blog. Just wanted to say congratulations. Samuel is just beautiful. Such great pictures - thank you for sharing!

Enjoy every minute with your son!

Rebekah said...

Love, love, LOVE this. What a miracle! I am so excited for you!!! Give your baby boy lots of kisses for all of us! :)

Becky said...

I can't get over how beautiful he is!! I understand the bonding...we had no problems either, it's so very natural...as if they have always been with you!
Don't let yourself get tired and overwhelmed with it all! You easily can. Just ask for some time and space from everyone if that's what you need! They are over the top excited too but, will understand! You need that initial time just the 3 of you!!
Much love and blessings to you!!!

Daisha said...

He looks like his daddy! Lucky boy! Don't worry about sleep...you will get it someday and there will come a day in just a couple years when he will pull the covers over his head and say "just a few more minutes mom"! Tyce said that to me this morning and he is only THREE!!!

Colette said...

The first night is always the toughest! Glad you are getting some rest...sleep will come when he is 12! LOL I am so happy for all of you! Enjoy every minute of it...Julian is already 19 months and it seems like yesterday when we brought our little man home! God Bless!!!

happymomof4 said...

I am so happy for you all- what a beautiful baby Samuel is and a blessing too! God Bless

Kim said...

Yay-more Samuel!! I am SO happy for you. What a blessing. I know exactly what you mean about the bonding. It was instant for me, too. Even after giving birth to 2, there is no distinguishing difference. I think being first, and after a long wait, they just walk into all that's waiting for them and you just dump all the love you have stored up onto them. Nothin' like it, right, Mommy??!!

D said...

Oh Pep,he's just beautiful. AND I know a beautiful baby when I see one. I am so excited for you.

Mandy said...

People can tell you over and over while you are waiting that once the baby is in your arms you barely remember the pain of waiting but until it actually happens to you you just can't believe it. Isn't it amazing how the last few years of waiting and aching just seem to get washed away when that little baby is in your arms? It is truly amazing and he is truly a blessing.

I am so over the top happy for you and your little family!!!! BIG HUGS to you all!!

Deb said...

So wonderful to hear how little Samuel and you are all adjusting.
I was so overwhelmed with phone calls constantly from the grandparents. And everyone wanted us to come see them. I wish I had told them to come visit instead of getting us both out, created a bad habit.

Glad you have no bonding issues.

Melba said...

So glad to hear things are going well...it is a huge/intense change, for sure! I think no matter how "prepared" we think we are, there is always that transition period required for reality to sink in. I am so happy for you and just love to hear you talk about that sweet boy!

Melba

wsweden said...

Patti,
I am so glad your day has finally arrived! Samuel is beautiful. Thanks for sharing his first days.
What a blessing :)

terilynnh2000 said...

I'm crying tears of joy for you! What a GORGEOUS little boy. Samuel is my FAVORITE boys name! SO SO SO SO MANY CONGRATS

Kathy said...

Samuel is so, so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing the pictures, and his coming home story.

Congratulations!!

Jackie said...

He is beyond beautiful - your little miracle! A million congrats - he is so blessed to have you for his mama.

Tracey said...

MY SON'S NAME IS SAMUEL TOO! CONGRATULATIONS!